Georges St-Pierre vs Carlos Condit Instead Of Nick Diaz At UFC 137

by • September 7, 2011 • News, UFCComments (0)

At todays UFC 137 Press Conference, Dana White made the announcement that Nick Diaz has lost his opportunity to fight for the welterweight championship against Georges St-Pierre at UFC 137 and will be replaced by Carlos Condit. The reason for this was that Nick Diaz did not show up for the press tour in Toronto on Monday, followed by todays UFC 137 Press Conference. Dana White said he has lost his “Small Window” opportunity.

Georges said he just learned of the news a few minutes ago and he was caught off guard by it.

Dana gave an example of a difficult person to deal with…

I’ll give you an example. Who’s more difficult than Floyd Mayweather? He’s crazy difficult to deal with in signing fights but he’s an absolute professional in doing the things that must be done. I’ve never had a situation like this in my career where a guy just goes MIA and doesn’t show up for any of the stuff.

PRESS RELEASE –

Albuquerque, N.M. – “The Natural Born Killer” Carlos Condit has quickly risen up the UFC Welterweight ranks, winning his last four UFC fights in dominating fashion. That rise just happened much quicker as Condit has now agreed to face Georges St-Pierre for the Welsterweight title at UFC 137 in Las Vegas, Nev. on Oct. 29 due to Nick Diaz being removed from that fight by UFC officials.

Previously, Condit was scheduled to fight B.J. Penn at UFC 137.

“The timing was perfect for this to all come together,” Condit stated with excitement in his voice. “First I want to thank the UFC for allowing me this opportunity and also my agent Malki Kawa who saw an opening and took advantage of it. With me already fighting on that card, I will need to make some adjustments to get ready for a new opponent, but my actual training is still right on schedule.”

“It’s an honor to be able to fight for the championship, especially against one of the legends of our sport in Georges St-Pierre. I’ve been fighting for nearly a decade and there has been a lot of blood, sweat and tears that has gone into that. A lot of sacrifices have been made both personally and professionally, and I’m looking forward to showing the UFC that I am deserving of this opportunity,” Condit added.

The opening Condit spoke of happened earlier this afternoon when Diaz had not shown up for the second day in-a-row to a scheduled UFC media event to announce the fight.

“Carlos Condit deserves this title shot. It is something he has worked hard for his entire career. The stars were aligned for this to happen for him, and I know he’s going to bring a lot of excitement to this fight,” Kawa said.

Condit, who trains at Jackson’s Submission Fighting in Albuquerque, N.M., holds a 27-5 professional record (4-1 UFC) and has won his last four fights and 12 of his last 13 bouts overall, which includes his run in the WEC. His last three wins have ended via KO/TKO.

Last week, it was announced that the UFC had extended the fight contract of Condit.

Fans can follow Condit through his web site at www.CampCondit.com or through his Twitter handle @CarlosCondit.

I had always thought that i’d like to see Carlos Condit fight GSP, what do you think of this fight? Does Condit have a shot?

Pin It

Related Posts