Dennis Siver has been forced to withdraw from his co-main event battle at UFC on FUEL TV 7, Dustin Poirier will now step in to face Cub Swanson.
UFC officials announced the new match-up on Thursday, however did not reveal the reason behind Siver’s withdrawal.
Poirier (13-2) got back into the win column with a submission victory over Jonathan Brookins at The Ultimate Fighter 16 Finale this past December. Prior to that win he lost for the first time in over two years against Chan Sung Jung in his main event battle at a FUEL TV event in May.
Leading up to his loss to the Korean Zombie, Poirier was inching ever so close to title contention as he was riding a five fight winning streak dating back to his WEC days.
Swanson (18-5) had made a rebound in his career and is currently riding a three fight winning streak with (T)KO wins over George Roop, Ross Pearson and most recently Charles Oliveira at UFC 152.
The fight between Swanson and Siver was expected to be a number one contenders bout in the UFC’s featherweight division. With Siver out that has not yet been determined, but it will be a battle to inch the winner up the ladder in the 145lbs weight class.
UFC on FUEL TV 7 is slated to go down on February 16 from the Wembley Arena in London, England. The main event is for the interim bantamweight championship, as Renan Barao will look to defend his title for the first time against the always dangerous Michael McDonald.
Check out the UFC on FUEL TV 7 fight card below.
MAIN CARD (12pm PT/3pm ET)
- Renan Barao vs. Michael McDonald – for interim bantamweight title
- Dustin Poirier vs. Cub Swanson
- Cyrille Diabate vs. Jimi Manuwa
- Justin Edwards vs. Gunnar Nelson
- Ryan Jimmo vs. James Te Huna
- Che Mills vs. Matthew Riddle
PRELIMINARY CARD (9am PT/12pm ET)
- Terry Etim vs. Renee Forte
- Danny Castillo vs. Paul Sass
- Josh Grispi vs. Andy Ogle
- Stanislav Nedkov vs. Tom Watson
- Vaughan Lee vs. Motonobu Tezuka
- Ulysses Gomez vs. Phil Harris