By Thinesh John
Japan’s DEEP promotion had an event this past Saturday, titled ‘Tokyo Impact’ which took place in Differ Ariake, Tokyo.
The event not only showcased Mixed Martial Arts, but also a ShootoBoxing tilt between former PRIDE and UFC veteran Akihiro Gono and ‘Kid HMC’ Sage. The former won that bout via a decision, and a ShootoBoxing career may be on the horizon for the retired MMA competitor following his defeat to Michael Chandler at Bellator 67.
Elsewhere, in the main event, former Sengoku Featherweight Champion Masanori Kanehara ensured that it was Goodnight Irene for Tony Reyes, needing only a single round to dispatch his foe. Reports are suggesting that the Japanese fighter is eyeing a move to the UFC, with a 3-fight winning streak in his pocket.
Here are the complete results:
- Masanori Kanehara def. Tony Reyes via TKO (Punches) at 4:28s of Round 1
- Akihiro Gono def. “Kid HMC” Sage via Decision (ShootoBox Rules)
- Juri Ohara def. Genki Osako via TKO (Punch) at 4:04s of Round 1
- Naohiro Mizuno def. Toshinori Tsunemura via Unanimous Decision
- Kenjiro Takahashi def. Ryosuke Togashi via TKO (Corner-Stoppage) at 0:18s of Round 2
- Hikaru Hasumi def. Katsuyoshi Beppu via Split Decision
- Koichi Ishizuka def. Yasufumi Suzaki via TKO (Punches) at 2:58s of Round 1
- Yuhi Takemoto def. Nobuhito Irei via Majority Decision
- Yusuke Kanaeda def. Pakaasi Weerasakreck by Submission (Arm-Triangle Choke) at 1:57s of Round 1
- Takahiro Ashida vs. Yudai Aoyama (Majority Draw)
- Takashi Soya def. Takaaki Ito via KO (Punch) at 0:46s of Round 1
- Yuta Kaneko def. Yoichiro Toriyama via TKO (Punches) at 1:37s of Round 1
- Luke Mori def. Yuji Arai via Unanimous Decision
- Shotaro Kanada def. Yasuo Munakata via Unanimous Decision
- Takahiro Yoshida vs. Kenji Yamanaka(Unanimous Draw)