The UFC hosted a media conference call with the stars of the upcoming UFC on FOX: SHOGUN vs. VERA card today.
Former UFC light heavyweight champion Mauricio “Shogun” Rua and Brandon “The Truth” Verawill be available to discuss their upcoming main event bout at the STAPLES Center in Los Angeles on Saturday, Aug. 4.
In the night’s co-main event, former light heavyweight champion Lyoto “The Dragon” Machida battles Ryan Bader, winner of season eight of The Ultimate Fighter®. Both will also be on the call.
This action-packed card from STAPLES Center will air live on FOX at 8 p.m. ET/5 p.m. PT.
Highlights below thanks to MMAmania.com.
- A win puts Shogun right back at the top of the division. He’s probably the number 2 guy in the world.
- I like Mike Swick personally and as a fighter. He’s a great fighter. 14-4 and one of the originals from The Ultimate Fighter. We started joking around calling him “Mr Glass” around the office because of the injuries. It’s good to see him back.
- I already announced that the winner of Vera and Rua gets the shot. We like impressive finishes. We like guys that finish. If you look at Shogun’s last fight, his fight with Dan Henderson was one of the sickest fights of my life.
- Varner came out and looked amazing in his last fight upsetting Barboza and Joe Lauzon is always exciting. He did the same thing to Melvin Guillard.
- It’s all about opportunities. Brandon accepted a fight against one of the best fighters of this decade and we’ll see what happens.
- We put the “Road to the Octagon” together with Eric from Fox. The first 6-7 months has been a feeling-out period on how to get things clicking with UFC on FOX. We’ve got a lot of ideas we’ll be implementing over the next year.
- Guys who fight on Fox are in line for title shots. We put important fights on Fox. That’s what you’re gonna see.
- I’m feeling the pressure feels pressure after UFC 149 card. I never want fans to think they waste their time if they stayed home to watch UFC.
- Mitrione wasn’t in good enough shape to take the Browne fight. We tried everything we could to save that fight.
- I’m really excited about the Phil Davis vs Wagner Prado. It’s 8-0 vs. 9-1, two of the best light heavyweight prospects in MMA.
- I will set a fight for Alexander Gustafsson in the very near future.
- Vera is a guy that’s very well known in the MMA business and the UFC. He has a strong name and Glover still has a long way to run. Right now the best option is a guy who’s well known and Brandon Vera is the choice.
- I’m only focused on Saturday, not on Jones.
- Just watch me on August 4th (his response to critics)
- My mindset preparing for Shogun has been amazing. This is an opportunity of a lifetime and you only get this call once. Training has been great. People from all over the globe have been coming in to help me get in shape for Shogun. I had a headstart on camp while preparing for Te Huna and it’s been good. It’s been amazing.
- I thought Jones was young punk when we fought and that I got what I deserved for underestimating him. I didn’t train hard and didn’t take him serious.
- Machida brings a lot of problems to the table that you don’t see a lot of fights or in the gym. You have to seek out training partners that have a little bit of that. If you can’t find it in the gym, you’ll be surprised in the fight. Being elusive and striking when he needs to are his best qualities.
- I just found out on this conference call that the main event is for a title shot.