Invicta Fighting Championships, the all-female organization, hosted their fifth event featuring thirteen action packed fights and two championship bouts inside the Ameristar Casino Hotel.
In the main event, Michelle Waterson defeated champion Jessica Penne to win the promotions atom weight crown. “The Karate Hottie” overcame adversity, fending off a dangerous looking arm-bar before finishing with an arm-bar of her own in the fourth round.
The other championship bout pitted Barb Honchak against Vanessa Porto for the inaugural Invicta FC flyweight title. While neither asserted their dominance completely, Honchak did enough to prevail in the competitive contest.
Cristiane “Cyborg” Santos made her triumphant return to MMA action, thrashing Australian fighter Fiona Muxlow en route to a first round stoppage.
Fight of the night unquestionably went to Sarah Kaufman and Leslie Smith. The pair of talented 135 pound fighters engaged in a battle, however the accuracy from the Canadian ultimately gave her the upper hand in the contest, although many in Kansas City disagreed but few in Kansas City agreed with her prevailing in the fight.
Full results here:
- Atomweight championship bout: Michelle Waterson def. Jessica Penne by submission (armbar) at 2:31 of round 4
- Flyweight championship bout: Barb Honchak def. Vanessa Porto by unanimous decision (50-45, 49-46, 48-47)
- Cristiane Santos def. Fiona Muxlow by TKO (strikes) at 3:46 of round 1
- Sarah Kaufman def. Leslie Smith by split decision (29-28, 28-28, 29-28)
- Jennifer Maia def. Zoila Frausto Gurgel by unanimous decision (30-27, 29-28, 29-28)
- Lauren Taylor def. Kaitlin Young by unanimous decision (29-28, 29-28, 29-28)
- Julia Budd def. Mollie Estes by submission (rear naked choke ) at 1:04 of round 3
- Bec Hyatt def. Jasminka Cive by submission ( belly down armbar) at 3:30 of round 1
- Simona Soukupova def. Cassie Rodish by submission (guillotine) at 3:20 of round 2
- Miriam Nakamoto def. Jessamyn Duke by TKO (knee) at 2:20 of round 2
- Katja Kankaanpaa def. Juliana Carnerio Lima by unanimous decision (30-27, 30-27, 29-28)
- Rose Namajunas def. Kathrina Catron by submission (flying armbar) at 0:12 of round 1
- Alex Chambers def. Jodie Equibel via submission (rear naked choke) at 1:35 of round 1