The Ultimate Fighting Championship made its return to Macau, China on Saturday night with an eight-bout fight card, featuring a blockbuster main event between Welterweights John Hathaway and Dong Hyun Kim, and a co-main event showcasing the conclusion of the “The Ultimate Fighter: China” series.
TUF: China Finale quick results
John Hathaway made his return to the octagon after a year-long layoff and was forced to whether Kim’s surge early in the first round. But in the second frame, Kim looked to have fatigued, and that allowed the Brit to score some strikes with his trademark knees and elbows. In the third round, however, Kim timed Hathaway’s elbow and countered with a spinning back elbow of his own, instantly signaling lights-out for the English fighter.
Controversy along with boos rained in the Cotai arena when Zhang Li Peng reigned victorious in a close split decision victory over Wang Sai. With that win in the bag, Peng was awarded the customary six-figure contract and was crowned the winner of the inaugural “The Ultimate Fighter: China” series.
Elsewhere on the main card, Matt Mitrione worked to his Boxing to perfection as he finished Shawn Jordan with some vicious strikes in the first stanza.
Former ROAD FC champ Nam Yui Chul had a night to remember in the prelims as his scrap with UFC vet Kazuki Tokudome impressed the masses worldwide. The South Korean landed five knockdowns in the first round but was unable to put his Japanese counterpart away. In the end, he took home a well deserved split decision victory.
But the upset of the night came in the first fight of the line-up when Mark Eddiva, who was fighting for the first time in three years, out-wrestled China’s MMA star Jumabieke Tuerxun en route to a Unanimous Decision victory.
Check out the rest of the results below:
MAIN CARD (UFC Fight Pass, 8 a.m. ET/5 a.m. PT)
- Dong Hyun Kim def. John Hathaway via KO (Elbow) at 1:02 of Round 3
- Zhang Li Peng def. Wang Sai via Split Decision (29-28, 27-30, 29-28) [TUF: China Finale Welterweight Tourney Final match-up]
- Matt Mitrione def. Shawn Jordan KO (Punches) at 4:59 of Round 1
- Hatsu Hioki def. Ivan Menjivar via Unanimous Decision (29-28, 29-28, 29-28)
PRELIMS (UFC Fight Pass, 6:20 a.m. ET/3:20 a.m. PT)
- Yui Chul Nam def. Kazuki Tokudome via Split Decision (29-27, 27-28, 29-28)
- Vaughan Lee def. Nam Phan via Unanimous Decision (30-27, 30-27, 30-26)
- Anying Wang def. Albert Cheng via TKO (Doctor’s Stoppage) at 5:00 of Round 1
- Mark Eddiva def. Jumabieke Tuerxun via Unanimous Decision (30-27, 30-27, 30-27)