Three blockbuster title fights were on display in ONE FC’s first venture into Dubai at the Dubai World Trade Centre on Saturday night.
The event, named ‘Reign of Champions’, streamed LIVE online at www.onefc.livesport.tv, and aired for the first time on FOX Sports 3 in Asia.
Shinya Aoki made quick work of former UFC and WEC vet Kamal Shalorus in the main event, retaining his Lightweight title in the process. The grappling maestro shot straight for a takedown up against the cage from the get-go, and it was then rudimentary for the Evolve MMA staple as he worked towards a Rear-Naked Choke submission finish.
Former Bellator champ Ben Askren also had an easy night as he catapulted Nobutatsu Suzuki with strikes in the first stanza. The Olympian scored a takedown right off the bat, before pursuing with an onslaught of multiple punches and forcing the referee to step in for an intervention.
As with Shalorus, Suzuki failed to mount a single ounce of offense. Askren hence became the new ONE FC Welterweight champion.
A competitive but lopsided fixture ensued between former Legend FC champ Jadambaa Narantungalag and Koji Oishi in the Featherweight title tussle of the evening. Oishi’s trademark methodical and counter-striking style payed little dividence as Mongolia’s Jadambaa scored a variety of strikes from range to out-strike his opponent for a Unanimous Decision victory. Jadambaa will now have a host of fighters looking in to vie for his strap, namely Rob Lisita, Eric Kelly and Honorio Banario.
But Aoki’s team mate and training partner, Herbert Burns, might also have a shout in the 145-lbs mix following his impeccable triumph over Japan’s Hiroshige Tanaka in the main card’s opener. Burns looked in complete control for the majority of the tilt while Tanaka remained hesitant in throwing combinations on his feet. Although Tanaka’s best moment in the bout seemingly came through a flurry of punches in the third frame, Burns survived off a takedown and garnered a Unanimous Decision victory in the end.
UFC vets Roger Huerta and James McSweeney also had great reasons to celebrate as both fighters picked up brutal stoppages in their outings. Huerta dismantled Christian Holley with ruthless ground-and-pound to hand the Brit his pro loss while McSweeney’s punch and soccer combination was all she wrote for former Heat champ, Cristiano Kaminishi.
In the prelims, 21-year-old Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu ace Muhammad Walid picked up a slick Armbar victory while Thailand’s Amnuaysirichoke and Malaysia Ann Osman picked up valuable victories on the night as well.
Check out full results from the event below:
- Shinya Aoki def. Kamal Shalorus via Submission (Rear-Naked Choke) at 2:15 of Round 1 (For ONE FC Lightweight title)
- Ben Askren def. Nobutatsu Suzuki via TKO (Punches) at 1:24 of Round 1 (For ONE FC Welterweight title)
- Jadambaa Narantungalag def. Koji Oishi via Unanimous Decision (For ONE FC Featherweight title)
- Roger Huerta def. Christian Holley via TKO (Knees & Punches) at 3:13 of Round 1
- James McSweeney def. Cristiano Kaminishi via TKO (Punch & Soccer Kick) at 1:17 of Round 1
- Herbert Burns def. Hiroshige Tanaka via Unanimous Decision
- Mohammed Walid def. Vaughn Donayre via Submission (Armbar) at 1:05 of Round 1
- Dejdamrong Sor Amnuaysirichoke def. Ali Yaakub via Submission (Rear-Naked Choke) at 2:34 of Round 1
- Ann Osman def. Ana Julaton via Split Decision