The list of noteworthy knockouts that took place in January 2018 is pretty staggering, as will be evident by the upcoming ‘Honorable Mentions’ list.
UFC, Bellator, ONE Championship, LFA, Shooto. Just about every promotion that had an event this month saw one or more brutal knockout finishes.
From Curtis Millender securing a spot in the UFC via vicious headkick KO at LFA 30, to Ronaldo “Jacare” Souza getting yet another first-round KO win over Derek Brunson in the final UFC event of January, there was no shortage of impressive knockout wins this month.
The best, however, will go to none of the above.
MMASucka’s Knockout of the Month for January 2018: Abdul Razak Alhassan brings the Thunder at UFC 220
At UFC 220 in Boston, Massachusetts, a welterweight rematch took place following some controversy at the initial meeting the month prior at UFC 218.
When Abdul Razak Alhassan and Sabah Homasi first met in December, they were having a highly entertaining brawl near the cage late in round one. When Homasi dropped mid-flurry, referee Herb Dean made a very poor call and stopped the fight despite Homasi still being very much in it. Alhassan was declared the victor.
— UFC (@ufc) December 3, 2017
So, because of the blowback from both fighters and the fans, as well as the commentators, the rematch was confirmed less than 24 hours after UFC 218 concluded.
Initially planned for UFC 219, the bout was pushed back to UFC 220 in Boston. The two played it a little bit more safe this time in comparison to the first meeting. But then less four minutes into the very first round, the fight-ending blow came.
Alhassan landed a nice right hand on the temple of Homasi, visibly sending him reeling backward before Alhassan lunged in with a brutal right uppercut, knocking Homasi out cold before he hit the ground.
Uppercut knockouts are always a joy to see, as they’re a bit of a rarity in combat sports surprisingly. And to make the knockout even more devastating, Homasi’s head bounced off the canvas like a basketball.
It was a devastating punch that woke the crowd up following three consecutive fights ending in decisions.
— FOX Sports (@FOXSports) January 21, 2018
If that KO wasn’t enough for you, then this is for you. No shortage of impressive knockouts this month, so here is a long list of Honorable Mentions. Link to video included when possible!
- ACB 78 | Yusup Umarov def. Rander Junior via KO1 (Punches)
- ACB 78 | Adam Aliev def. Ednilson Barros via KO3 (Punch)
- LFA 30 | Christian Aguilera def. Maycon Mendonca via KO1 (Punch)
- LFA 30 | Curtis Millender def. Nick Barnes via KO2 (Headkick)
- UFC FN 124 | Jeremy Stephens def. Doo Ho Choi via KO2 (Punches & Elbows)
- UFC FN 124 | Polo Reyes def. Matt Frevola via KO1 (Punch)
- UFC 220 | Calvin Kattar def. Shane Burgos via KO3 (Punches)
- UFC 220 | Islam Makhachev def. Gleison Tibau via KO1 (Punch)
- Bellator 192 | Aaron Pico def. Shane Kruchten via KO1 (Body Punch)
- ONE: Global Superheroes | Jomary Torres def. April Osenio via KO1 (Slam)
- ONE: Global Superheroes | Emilio Urrutia def. Bruno Pucci via KO1 (Punch)
- ONE: Global Superheroes | Edward Kelly def. Meas Meu via KO1 (Headkick)
- LFA 32 | Ryan Spann def. Alex Nicholson via KO1 (Punches)
- Shooto Japan | Itchaku Murata def. Junji Ito via KO1 (Punches)
- NCE 22 | Jaciel de Souza def. Dewis Junior via KO1 (Slam)
- UFC on FOX 27 | Ronaldo Souza def. Derek Brunson via KO1 (Headkick & Punches)
- UFC on FOX 27 | Mirsad Bektic def. Godofredo Pepey via KO1 (Body Punch)
- Bellator 193 | Jake Smith def. Steve Kozola via KO1 (Punch)
- ACB 79 | Husein Kushagov def. Michal Wiencek via KO1 (Body Punch)
- ACB 79 | Magomed Ginasov def. Bruno Viana via KO2 (Kicks & Punches)
- Shooto Brasil | Glyan Alves def. Luciano Benicio via KO1 (Spinning Backfist & Punches)