ROAD Fighting Championship’s fourteenth instalment took place this past weekend, February 9th, in front of a packed audience at the Seoul Olympic Hall in Seoul, South Korea. The main card streamed LIVE online at http://www.ustream.tv/roadfc for a price of USD $9.99.
ROAD FC 014 Results: Choi Mu-Gyeom tops Bae Yong Kwon in a huge upset, garners 145-lbs gold
In the main event, the inaugural Featherweight Championship title strap was contested between tournament finalists Bae Yong Kwon and Choi Mu-Gyeom (pictured). Kwon was strong with his takedowns throughout the tilt, while Choi was active with his submission attempts.
After three hard fought rounds however, the judges could not determine a winner, and a fourth stanza was called for. In the end, it was Choi who rose to the occasion, earning a tight Split Decision victory and the promotion’s inaugural 145-lbs gold.
Former Lightweight contender Takasuke Kume gave the hardest of welcomes to ROAD FC newcomer Eduardo Simoes, in the first all-foreign affair in ROAD FC. Kume dominated all three rounds against the Brazilian Black Belt with a superior display of strength and positioning on the canvas, en route to a decisive Unanimous Decision victory.
Former ONE FC champ Soo Chul Kim made an astounding return to the ROAD FC banner, attacking former UFC vet Motonobu Tezuka with his striking and clinching from the get-go. In just under two minutes, Kim scored a knockdown over his much fancied opponent before forcing a referee’s intervention after some neat ground-and-pound.
Korean prodigy Jo Nam-Jin, performed well against decorated Shooto champ, Yamagami Mikihito. In the classic striker vs. grappler match-up, once again it was the latter style that prevailed as Jo swept the judges’ scorecards with a lopsided Unanimous Decision victory.
In a special 155-lbs Lightweight super fight, well-known South Korean comedian Yoon Hyun-Bin made his professional MMA debut against Takaya Tsukuda of Japan. Takaya stunned Yoon several times with strikes, before Yoon came back with a perfectly timed right hook that signaled lights out for his Japanese counterpart.
ROAD Fighting Championship returns on March 9th with ‘ROAD FC – Korea 2’, at the Grand Hilton Convention Centre in Seoul, South Korea. In this new monthly league, ROAD FC welcomes foreign fighters to debut in South Korea. Representatives from Japan’s historic promotion, PANCRASE, are expected to be featured. Keep it locked to MMASucka.com as more details will be announced soon.
Check out the full results from ROAD FC 014 below:
- – Yoon Hyun-Bin def. Takaya Tsukuda via KO (Punch) at 0:49 of Round 1
- – Choi Mu-Gyeom def. Bae Yong Kwon via Split Decision (ROAD FC Featherweight Championship Tournament final match-up/For inaugural ROAD FC Featherweight Championship belt)
- – Takasuke Kume def. Eduardo Simoes via Unanimous Decision
- – Soo Chul Kim def. Motonobu Tezuka via TKO (Punches) at 1:58 of Round 1
- – Jo Nam-Jin def. Yamagami Mikihito via Unanimous Decision
- – Kim Nae-Chul def. Noji Ryuta via KO (Punch) at 4:28 of Round 2
PRELIMS/YOUNG GUNS 11
- – Lee Hyung-Seok def. Kim Yi-Sak via Unanimous Decision
- – Kim Ho-Joon def. Kim Dae-Myung via TKO (Punches) at 4:57 of Round 2
- – Lee Jung-Yung def. Kwon Se-Yoon via Submission (Armbar) at 3:21 of Round 2
- – Cho Yeong-Seung def. Jin Tae-Ho via Unanimous Decision
- – Nam Ye-Won def. Munguntsooj Nandinerdene via Submission (Rear-Naked Choke) at 4:24 of Round 1
Photos credit: ROAD Fighting Championship