Sergej Maslobojev vs Luis Tavares has been removed from GLORY 81. This fight was to be for the vacant GLORY Light Heavyweight Championship however, earlier this week, it was announced that Tavares was pulling out of the August 20 fight. No reasons were given. (Updates below)
GLORY Kickboxing shared on Twitter:
“The Light Heavyweight Title Bout between Luis Tavares and Sergej Maslobojev has been removed from GLORY 81, due to reasons on Tavares’ side. The event will proceed with eight fights. A new Light Heavyweight Title Bout will be announced in the coming weeks.”
To share his thoughts on this sudden and unexpected cancellation, the Lithuanian kickboxer Maslobojev spoke with VechtSportInfo and said:
“Right now, I’m speechless, I don’t know what to say. Because I’m in the most difficult stage of preparation. I just got the info. I think that real understanding will come in a few days. Because it changes my plans and makes my hard preparations pointless. I understand, but I don’t feel it. As me a few days later and I’ll be able to explain what’s on my mind.”
Sergej Maslobojev vs Luis Tavares at GLORY 81 Cancelled
Just weeks ago, “The Infamous” spoke with MMA Sucka and sounded extremely motivated. In the interview, he said, “I’m becoming champion in the light heavyweight division. Book that, 20 of August.” The Cape Verdean-Dutch fighter was also complimentary to his scheduled opponent Maslobojev and said, “He belongs near the top of the world in my division. He’s been winning his fights, he’s been on 11 fight win streak. But I see a couple of things in his game that I’d like to exploit.”
The news of Tavares’ cancellation seemed to come out of nowhere and with no explanation. However, this is the second time the Cape Verdean-Dutch fighter has pulled out from a fight just this year. He was booked for March 19, 2022, to face the Russian-born champion Artem Vakhitov for the GLORY Light Heavyweight Championship. Tavares withdrew from the bout due to the Russian invasion of Ukraine.
Tavares is on an impressive win streak currently, winning five fights in a row against top-ranked fighters and avenging earlier losses along the way. He is a highly talented fighter and combat sports fans are looking forward to seeing him compete in kickboxing soon. Previously, Tavares was a two-division champion in Enfusion, holding titles at both light heavyweight and heavyweight.
“Kuvalda” Maslobojev has been in line for a title shot for some time and has been waiting diligently. The Lithuanian fighter has impressively won eleven consecutive bouts and has only suffered a single loss since 2015. The 35-year-old has collected titles in Baltic Muay Thai, King of Kings, WKO, WAKO, and others, but he was looking to add GLORY gold to his mantle soon.
MMA Sucka will keep this story updated as more news is released. Luis Tavares and his management team have not yet issued a statement though it has been requested.
Updated: Tavares suspended by the Nederlandse Vechtsport Autorteit
Luis Tavares has been suspended indefinitely by the Dutch Martial Arts Authority (Nederlandse Vechtsport Autorteit). The fighter tested positive for a banned substance after his last match at GLORY RIVALS in May. No word has come out from the team surrounding Tavares. The banned substance Tavares tested positive for has not been made public at this time.
Updated 10 hours after initial story publication. New information from VechSportInfo.
Featured Image Credit Courtesy of GLORY Kickboxing.