When the Strikeforce heavyweight grand prix began it gave the rising number-two ranked organization a second wind but before we knew it Zuffa, LLC, the parent organization to the Ultimate Fighting Championship had purchased their San Jose based rival and chaos ensued.
Tonight the finals conclude with long-time MMA veteran Josh Barnett battling two-time Olympian Daniel Cormier with the winner taking the heavyweight grand prix title that the likes of Fedor Emelianenko and Alistiar Overeem fought for.
Additionally, they will put a bow on the trilogy that was Josh Thompson vs. Gilbert Melendez for all the marbles in Strikeforce’s lightweight division.
MAIN CARD (Showtime)
- Heavyweight grand prix finals: Daniel Cormier def. Josh Barnett by Unanimous Decision (49-46, 50-45, 50-45)
- Lightweight championship bout: Gilbert Melendez def. Josh Thomson by Split Decision (48-47, 47-48, 48-47)
- Rafael “Feijao” Cavalcante def. Mike Kyle by submission (guillotine choke) at 0:33 of round 1
- Chris Spang def. Nah-Shon Burrell by KO at 1:35 of round 1
PRELIMINARY CARD (Showtime Extreme)
- Gesias “JZ” Cavalcante vs. Isaac Vallie-Flagg def. Gesias Cavalcante (29-28, 28-29, 29-28)
- Guto Inocente def Virgil Zwicker by Unanimous Decision (29-28, 29-28 30-27)
- Derrick Mehmen vs. Gian Villante def. Derrick Mehmen by Unanimous Decision (29-28, 30-27, 30-27)
- Quinn Mulhern def. Yuri Villefort by Split Decision (30-27, 28-29, 29-28)