Everything went as planned for most at UFC 153. Anderson Silva defeated Stephan Bonnar in impressive fashion, Antonio Rodrigo Nogueira submitted Dave Herman and Glover Teixeira absolutely obliterated Fabio Maldonado.
There were a couple of surprising moments during the main card. One of which was when Demian Maia went back to his roots and absolutely dominated Rick Story on the ground, eventually submitting him via neck crank. Secondly, most people thought of Jon Fitch as a boring fighter, however in his return bout against the always dangerous Erick Silva he was far from boring. Yes, it went to the judges scorecards, but Fitch won unanimously and picked up Fight of the Night in the process.
Check out our “5 interesting numbers from UFC 153” below thanks to FightMetric.com.
1. Anderson Silva landed 19 of 27 significant strikes
2. Dave Herman went 2 for 2 on his takedown attempts (100%)
3. Glover Teixeira threw 183 total strikes and landed 117 of them
4. Fabio Maldonado only threw 36 strikes in his fight against Teixeira
5. For a so-called boring fighter Jon Fitch threw 234 strikes and went for 9 takedowns.
6. Demian Maia only needed the one submission attempt to defeat Rick Story