BREAKING

Legend Reveals Real Reason Behind Retirement at ONE SAMURAI 1

1 months ago3 min read
Takeru Segawa poses in his suit Rodtang and Takeru pose at the ONE SAMURAI 1 Kickoff Press Conference

Japanese kickboxing legend Takeru Segawa has revealed the deeply personal reasoning behind the decision to walk away from professional competition. The three-division K-1 Champion competes for the final time on Wednesday, April 29, in the main eve...

Japanese kickboxing legend Takeru Segawa has revealed the deeply personal reasoning behind the decision to walk away from professional competition.

The three-division K-1 Champion competes for the final time on Wednesday, April 29, in the main event of ONE SAMURAI 1, where he faces Thai megastar Rodtang Jitmuangnon for the ONE Interim Flyweight Kickboxing World Title at Ariake Arena in Tokyo, Japan.

The rematch brings two of combat sports’ most beloved figures back together with a World Title and Takeru Segawa’s retirement on the line. When these two walk out at Ariake Arena, Tokyo will witness the final professional performance of a generational talent.

Takeru Segawa Planning Retirement for Years

Rodtang and Takeru pose for the media at the ONE SAMURAI 1 Kickoff Press Conference
Image Courtesy of ONE Championship.

The decision to retire did not arrive suddenly for Takeru Segawa. The Japanese icon has been thinking about the right moment to step away from competition for a considerable period, quietly weighing the question of timing while continuing to compete at the highest level.

“I had been thinking about when would be the right timing to retire for about three or four years. So, the moment when I thought that this would truly be the last time I could strongest condition was probably about a year ago,” Takeru Segawa said.

Takeru’s career has been defined by the pursuit of peak performance at every stage. Three K-1 divisions worth of titles and a promotional journey that brought him face to face with the world’s finest strikers reflect a competitor who has never settled for anything less than his absolute best.

Japanese Star Takeru Segawa Could Continue, Chose to Go Out at His Strongest

The retirement is not being forced upon Takeru Segawa by declining ability or a string of damaging losses. The Japanese legend has been clear that the choice is entirely his own, rooted in a desire to leave the sport on terms he sets himself rather than waiting until competition forces the decision.

“If I wanted to continue, I think I probably still could. But I thought this might be the last time I can put myself in my strongest condition, so I decided to retire this time,” he explained.

Takeru Segawa is one of the most prominent faces the Japanese kickboxing world has produced, a fighter who built a 45-5 career record and cemented his legacy across three K-1 divisions before arriving in ONE Championship.

Unfinished Business with Rodtang Driving Takeru Segawa

Beyond the retirement announcement lies a more personal motivation that has kept Takeru pushing forward. The 80-second knockout loss at ONE 172 left a specific kind of frustration that no other result could resolve because the fight ended before Takeru could show what he truly brings to a battle with the most dangerous Muay Thai striker on the planet.

“The essence of my fighting style is a slugfest, and I’ve always wanted to have that kind of fight with Rodtang. last fight, I couldn’t even reach that point and lost. So, this is why I believed I must fight Rodtang one more time. That’s the reason I have come this far,” he said.

Rodtang carries a 274-43 career record and a 17-2 ONE mark. He earned a place in ONE Championship history with that 80-second finish, adding it to a resume that includes six ONE Flyweight Muay Thai World Title reigns and years of dominance as the promotion’s most feared striker. Now, “The Iron Man” will have a chance no one has been able to do – defeat the Japanese superstar twice.

ONE SAMURAI 1 takes place on Wednesday, April 29, at Ariake Arena in Tokyo, Japan. Stay tuned to MMASucka for full broadcast details as they are confirmed.

ABOUT THE AUTHORMMASucka NewsStaff Writer

MMASucka News is a combat sports journalist and Staff Writer at MMA Sucka.

Kickboxing

RELATED ARTICLES

View All